Jumpsuit pattern mash-up September 26, 2014 – Posted in: Sewing
My Ella turned 3 on Wednesday! This is unreal to me because 1–time is FLYING. And 2–she was born after I started blogging and has made appearances starting when she was still in my belly in my maternity clothes post, and as herself as a wee babe the day after her arrival.
Three is such a big age to me. Her personality is limitless, and growing more every day. She’s got strong ideas about the world and doesn’t mind telling you how she feels. She’s fiercely competitive and isn’t afraid to stand up for herself to other kids more than twice her size. She’s a spitfire, this one, and I love her to pieces! So when I stood her before my fabric stash and asked her to choose a fabric for her birthday dress, she chose this print I’ve long adored and demanded, “no dress, Mama, PANTS.”
Say what? No dress? NO DRESS?? But the kid wanted pants and who am I to say no to that request? I thought it would be awesome to try mashing two of my own patterns together and I can’t believe it took me this long to try this combo! I. Am. In. Love. with this outfit! And I’ve got another one cut out in knit, just waiting for 30 spare minutes for me to sew!
To make this adorable jumpsuit, I combined the bodice and neck line of my Darling Daisy dress with the Kudzu Coverall bottom and added an elastic band around the bottom. There are no closures in the outfit at all, you get in and out of it through the elastic at the neck. She loves that she can dress herself in the outfit, but it could still just as easily have the snap crotch option of the Kudzu for those in diapers.
I loved the time I spent with Ella taking these pictures of her! She doesn’t model for my often because she’s a little shy in front of the camera. I’ve also not sewn for her much in the past, wanting to get a lot of wear out of my items. But a long sleeve tee under this outfit is a perfect way to carry a fun fabric through the dreary winter months, and was perfect for celebrating the birth of this extraordinary little bit.
Happy Birthday, my darling girl!
Check out some other amazing pattern mash-ups today on this awesome Frankenpattern mash-up blog hop!
- Knight Hoodie + Bimaa Sweater by Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy Crafts
- Alleycat Daydream Dress by Call Ajaire
- Rainbow Princess Dress by Rae Gun Ramblings
- Ash Jumpsuit + Vintage Style Flutter Sleeve by Amanda Rose
- Burda Harem Pants + McCalls Dress by Lil Bit and Nan
- Sugar Plum Princess Dress + Poppy Dress by Bee Quilted Beauties
- Dress #13 + Pants #2 by Sprouting Jube Jube
- Katie Fancy Pant + Field Research Pant by Scientific Seamstress
- Jumpsuit Mashup by Sew Like My Mom
- Lullaby Line Body Suit + Grand Slam Tee by Peek-a-boo Pattern Shop
- Cherry Pie Skirt + Socialite Peplum by Sewing Sober